ESPN's Bottom Line - Version 2.0

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday Night Gripe

     The common room is the most controversial room of any college dorm.  You got couches, causing the social type to view it as a "hangout" room.  You got a table, causing the studious type to view it as a "study" room.  You also have a sink, causing the barbaric type to view it as their own personal water-fountain which is disgusting because that means they're sticking their face in the faucet.  Whatever the case, it's definitely an under-appreciated, oft-forgotten about room.  I use it all the time though.  When I wanna hit the books, I go there.  When I wanna crush some oreos and crank some music, I go there.  When I wanna chill with my African-French bros and Gen/Filip, I go there.  Now because the common room is a space of multiple purposes, differences in theory, need, and culture can cause arguments between floor dwellers.  The classic battle: I-should-be-using-headphones guy vs I-have-a-test-tomorrow guy.  Often a toss-up because it is the common room but I usually side with I-have-a-test-tomorrow guy.  Usually these conflicts are subjective; I can see the argument from both sides.  But what happened tonight is not even an argument.  No other side.  I'm right.


      I sit down to study for my test on Thursday.  Between checking RedCupSports for new pageviews and talkin' ideas with the crew of the site, I'm studying pretty studiously.  I got my groove on, my mojos workin, I'm absorbing concepts like a girl with low self-esteem absorbs compliments.  But then, two chicks walk in and ruin my night.  Absolutely slaughter my study sesh.  These girls walk in babbling, at a quite high volume, in their native tongue.  Listen, I know my fair share of Chinese (reference my first ZboNfl post), but I can't keep up with these girls.  Their rate of speech (dwords/dtime) is off the charts. 

   It doesn't even matter what they were saying or what language they were speaking in.  The point is they were loud, and I was studying.  Sounds selfish of me but here's the kicker... They don't live on my floor!  Are you kidding me?  So I sit through some jibber-jabber until one of them lets out a guffaw, basically the metaphorical dagger into my night of quiet studying.  I turn-around, I give them "the look."  Everyone knows the look.  The classic look (most often found in libraries) when you're talking too loudly and distracting others.  Heck I'm usually on the other side of the look; I'm a notoriously loud talker.  But these girls were of a rare bread; they were immune to the look.  They continued to chat, I continued to talk to Chad (because I couldn't concentrate on my work).  I'm sure they were nice girls who were not maliciously trying to sabotage my evening of book learnin', but in this case I feel it was a bit rude for them to venture to my floor's common room and make a bucket load of noise.  

 That's my gripe ladies and gents

3 comments:

  1. Dude, you sound like Raj - can't speak to girls. Start with your mom and go from there! Seriously, next time just walk over and politely ask them to stfu. And as for panty burps, what a turn-off! Again, politely ask the young lady to deal with her flatulence elsewhere, while sincerely showing concern for her gastrointestinal issue. She'll love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny, especially the part about the guffaw (mostly because I had to look up what it meant and I like when new words challenge me). Also, is there a chance that you may be coming off a little bit racist? Listen, I have no problem with it I think it's hysterical, but perhaps another fellow reader might question whether their ancestral origin had anything to do with your nasty attitude towards them. Not trying to start anything, only trying to open your eyes to another view of the situation. But I'll post this anonymously, just in case you take this too personally (I have to look out for myself, you know how it is). Anywho, I really enjoy your writing and I look forward to reading other posts in the future. (Include big words, I like that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^I totally deny these charges

    ReplyDelete